There have been many new innovations and changes to link building since the beginning of the year. There are finer values given to social signals, differences in search results, especially with Search plus your World along with endless versions of Panda update, the inevitable end of link networks, and improvements to Google through interpretation of anchor texts to determine its relevance. Many of these alterations show that everyone has to adapt and change along with how we brand, market and create our websites. They must become more clear through link building. Today, ethical link acquisition has become very important. Its results affect and involve other parts of online marketing when done on a broad scale and having a targeted approach. Examples of this include:
- Referring visitors who are simply clicking through
- Establishing brand signals
- Using search engines to keep the site indexed and crawled
- Heightening search rankings
- Generating leads
It is important to keep in mind that developing links is just one piece of a larger puzzle that creates SEO, It is also essential to comprehend that to actually be efficient in getting results from building links, you will need a well optimized page for searches and conversations. Combining a grounded on and off site campaign is the way to get ROI driven results. Therefore, it is imperative to determine whether of not link building for this year is different from last year. Answering this question based on our team’s most recent work, it can be concluded that:
- We still utilize the identical link valuation method in finding possible links
- I still think that content is at the heart of a prosperous development campaign
- It remains muddy since most items are done manually and almost entirely content and community based links
On the other hand, there are certain things that have changed including:
- Looking at partial match anchor texts that have longer strings because of their higher CTR, especially when in content
- Wanting more content published on sites that contain a strong social following. This maximizes the worth of the links that will be gotten through branding and social signals
- Obtaining more value from links that will create rankings, lead generation, branding, and a continuing flow of traffic. This means that every link will have a long term benefit for the organization.As mentioned above, we still utilize similar techniques in assessing link targets and building strategies to get links from them by evaluating link opportunities. This is accomplished through:
- Domain level metrics like Domain Authority and PageRank
- Relevance of the website’s audience and ideas
- The target site’s traffic
- Quality and helpfulness of the content
- Good looking web design
- Difficulty level of getting their links
- They can easily be detected through SEOQuake’s SEMrush data, especially if ranking on Google
In other words, the strategies for link development most sought after to implement or improve a site’s marketing should possess the ability to be scaled naturally and expand by itself to benefit the campaign’s short and long range goals. This is the type of link building principle that every serious company must have.
Here are some of the methods that can be used to scale a linking building attempt.
Uncover, grow, and leverage Linkable Assets
Any piece of an organization that can keep attracting traffic and natural links on a regular basis is considered a linkable asset. It is certainly much simpler to build and ask for links with these kinds of properties. People will have definite reasons for linking to it, mostly because of the value being given from the content of the site. A few of the most common kinds of linkable assets that a site will possess are:
- People. Experts who give worthwhile content and have managed to create a string brands are often cited the the most on their blogs or other sites and can be interviewed as well to generate strings links.
- Events. Awards, seminars, and conferences are all things that naturally get links and press mentions when promoted in a heavy manner through social media and also can be a strong front when searching for content based link acquisitions.
- Key Features. Things like forums, products, apps able to be downloaded, and other items can be quite beneficial. There are many ways to attract links to these pages including receiving links from bloggers through reviews, guest blogging, sourcing for industry news, asking for resource links, and through community discussions.
- Free lessons or Extensive resources. These can simply attract linkers, especially when bookmarked to the page, when it is getting a fair amount of traffic. It is also simpler to request other websites that are relevant to link to this kind of content because it has valuable information. Linker outreach and broken link building will be effective when creating links to the comprehensive free lessons.
- Data Visualization. These include things like inked Data, Infographics, and Kinetic Typography. These items can bait links if well promoted through social media. Giving embed codes may also raise the likelihood of getting more natural links, so that people visiting the paged will be able to gran and embed the content to their own blogs. Newer sites have a weakness for data driven content, so suggesting it to news writers in the industry may help to get mentions in the press and other editorial links.
- Begin an industry term and grow a definition page. It is important to use this often when distributing external content, such as when others in the industry begin using the technical terms that you have introduced. You can simple attract link attributions for the word. Google Alerts can be used to track the sites that use the industry term and you can build an additional Wikipedia page that can link back to the term’s definition page that is hosted by your site.
- Job Boards. These items can heighten response and approval ratings when requesting links from .edu sites, since many of them contain pages that list jobs where the students can send their applications.
There are definitely other kinds of content that may serve as linkable assets for a site. Discovering preexisting solid pages that lie beneath the site may be an asset for your link building campaign. To find these linkable assets, you can begin by identifying them through rough investigation into the site’s pages and naming the ones that are:
- Already attracting natural links that can be tracked through Google’s Webmaster Tools.
- Generating regular traffic and contain high user activity.
It is vital to comprehend why people are linking and remaining longer on the pages of your website and enhancing them to attract a higher number of links with little effort. You can view the post on SEOmoz building links to linkable assets. It goes into great detail discussing everything that must be known about how to get the most from your site’s link worthiness and socially engaging content.
Reverse Engineer Competitors’ Links
Understanding where the competition is getting their links from is very essential at this time and will continue to be important well into the future. Competitor analysis not only includes identifying the sites that link to the competition. You will also have to comprehend the relationships involved between these linking sites for the ability to copy and surpass the competition’s strategy in terms of link acquisition.
It is always essential to understand who is linking to them, how they received the link, and why they are linking in the first place. After these questions are answered, it will be simpler to create strategies on acquiring similar links.
You can utilize tools like Open Site Explorer to uncover the competition’s top pages along with Ahrefs to track sites that link to their strong pages. Making a list of these sites and breaking them up by levels of importance and difficulty will make it easier to set priorities and goals in acquiring links from them.
Look at the average amount of links being acquired by the competition each month and also the kinds of links that they are getting the most. This will give a clearer picture of how to successfully outrank them by targeting the things that are working the best.
Many individuals in the industry are recognizing content marketing as the new core of link building. It is certainly worth trying since the more useful content is given to the audience, the more it attracts potential links to your site and its content. This is at the heart of linkbaiting.
Content marketing allows a site to create large amounts of middle offerings to their target audience. It may come in the form of:
- Useful blog posts and great content.
- Free ebooks and whitepapers.
- Content shared on social networks that can also be from other sources.
- Curated Content
These kinds of content can help to increase the site’s conversions, especially when they are promoted heavily through manual link acquisitions and social media that makes them more visible to the target audience because the campaign offers the visitor’s a higher amount of reasons to come back and use more of the information that the website provides. This may lead to transactions and brand loyalties.
As it seems, the more that these web based materials can push the brand as an authority in the industry, the higher the chances it will receive more natural referring links from other websites in the industry. This will also help to constantly grow a solid following among social networks that can create a funnel for purposes of link development and social media marketing.
There are a few vital factors and actions involved in content marketing:
- Create a content strategy that includes a strict schedule for publishing and content inventory.
- Uncover various classes of personas behind the audience of the business to be able to create content with targeted messaging and calls to action.
- Strongly promote content through social outreach. This will include targeting individuals that find content useful and have a large following. Think about your content and if it is actually worth promoting before connecting with industry linkers.
- Create social buttons that are visible to increase the process of social sharing.
- The total content for this part of the campaign must internally link to the best pages to convert viewers and help those pages get a better rank on search results. This content will be carrying a lot of information since they naturally acquire social signals and links.
Content marketing is a link attraction method. Using it in a consistent manner will certainly encourage a scalable link building strategy.
Guest blogging has always proven to be an effective way to build links. It is the top way that agencies and practitioners out for link acquisition achieve their goals. They understand that the value of the acquired links has a great impact in pushing keyword search rankings and the other advantages that include the ability to refer traffic, followers, leads and spread brand awareness. An effective guest blogging campaign targets content placement on sites that are authorities in the field of interest, gets high volumes of traffic, and passes link value which influence search rankings. Uncovering blogs that you can submit guest blogging is not difficult. You can use this link prospecting technique to get a large list of relevant blogs where you can get links from by joining in and writing a guest entry. Other things to keep in mind when participating in guest blogs is:
- Focus energy on receiving live guest posts that include trusted authorship with a strong Google+ following.
- Use authorship markup on all guests posts when possible.
Editorial Link Building
As stated before, this is the most powerful kind of link that exists because it is voluntarily given. It is what Google wants and is more often clicked on by those who see the link because it is placed within the body of content. Receiving editorial links from those who create content requires a content centric campaign that naturally attract and reference you as the originator. This is the reason why content marketing plays a large part in the new age of link development. This is where you will have to earn a citation.
There are different ways to create editorial links to your site like:
- Make newsworthy content that has the potential to go viral, then pitch it to established columnists, bloggers, or news editors in the industry to get press coverage.
- Launch a social media market campaign for the content through social outreach and paying for service. To learn more, check out this post on viral strategies that include tips on how to get content to front linkers.
- Share the site with Google News. Most of their channels are used by bloggers as a source for a story. This may be a lead into editorial acquisition links and a way to generate traffic to the original source.
- Track the links from the competition and reach out to those sites. Ask if they are interested in linking or sharing content.
- Mention content through external distributions like guest blogs, free ebooks, slide shows, and press releases to heighten the rate of discovery.
- Reach out to sites that already have links to you. This is a better way to acquire social links and shares from them.
Communities Can Help With Authority, Brands, And Relationship Development
Try slowly to develop your brand as an authority through genuine contribution of your expertise. Sharing thoughts and helping others solve problems to an online entity is a great way to establish a brand and help it to grow. It may be wise to include forums, blogs, news sites, and social networks.
Keep consistent with your identity including description, username and general approach to business. Try to assimilate the business’ special value using your persona as a contributor. Becoming more noticed, making yourself stand out from the crowd in an online community, and getting mentioned by others who have connections with you will make you a linkable asset. This is what makes the strategy scalable.
In the end, this will make is simpler to find better link opportunities in receiving:
- Guest columns
- Blogroll links
- Resource page links
- Editorial links
Many things have changed with internet link building over the last year. There are new strategies to employ to enjoy optimum SEO rankings as well as draw more business to your site. The bottom line rests on comprehending the best way to link to other sources that will help you on the path to greater success. Scalable link building has become the best way to bring attention to your site. After evolving the way we make our sites more visible, we will be filled with a better understanding of the new way of positive link building.